Halloween RCMP Safety tips 2016
Road Safety/Yard Safety:
· Carry a flashlight so you can see where you are going.
· Walk, don’t run.
· Stay on the sidewalk. If there is no sidewalk, walk on the left side of the road facing traffic.
· Visit houses on one side of the street at a time.
· Never walk out between cars to cross the street.
· Stay in familiar neighborhoods.
· Don’t cut across yards or driveways.
· Obey traffic signals and give traffic the right of way.
· Ideally, young children of any age should be accompanied by
· Make sure your yard is clear of such things as ladders, hoses, dog leashes and flower pots that can trip the young ones.
· Make sure your costume doesn’t drag on the ground so you don’t trip.
· Wear comfortable shoes, even if they don’t go with your costume.
· Wear makeup instead of a mask. This will allow you to see and be aware of everything going on around you while walking house to house.
· It is safer to carry flexible knives, swords or other props.
· Wear clothing with reflective markings or tape.
· If you buy a costume, look for one made of flame retardant
Trick or Treat:
· Only approach houses that have the outside lights turned on.
· Trick-or-treat in groups.
· Never enter a stranger’s home or car for a treat.
· Although tampering is rare, tell children to bring the candy home to be inspected before consuming anything. Look at the wrapping carefully and toss out anything that looks suspect.
· Discuss with your children what they should do to call home in
case of emergency.
· Stay away from and don’t pet animals you don’t know.
· Pets get frightened on Halloween; put them inside to protect
them from cars or inadvertently biting a trick-or-treater.
· Be aware that in many BC communities, the use of fireworks is strictly prohibited by law.
· Each and every Halloween, hospital emergency rooms prepare for an influx of children and adults with firework-associated injuries.
· Parents are urged to be alert to the many dangers posed to young people who are allowed to use fireworks at Halloween.