FOODSHARE - SUMMER GARDEN ASSISTANT
This position is being funded under the Canada Summer Jobs (CSJ) initiative. To be eligible for this position, you must be between 15 and 30 years of age on the start date of the job. You also must have been a full-time student during the previous academic year and be intending to return to full-time studies in the next academic year. You also must be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident or a refugee under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
The Food and Gardening Skills Program Assistant will be working with the Community Roots Gardens, the Summer Daycamp Program and the BC Farmers Market Nutrition Coupon Program. The role will involve planning and maintenance of school gardens, including teaching children and families garden skills at various locations. They will schedule work party days and engage the community in the school gardens. They will ensure that foods from the gardens are used in the community and by the summer lunch munch program and help with processing foods. They will teach a variety of food skills, including gardening, nutrition, food safety, cooking skills and clean up, and about local sustainable food choices.
• Purchasing all necessary supplies for garden activities
• Ensuring proper watering, weeding and general maintenance of the garden sites and participate at Urban Farm site and Urban Farm activities
• Seeding and Planting of fall and winter vegetables
• Organizing and facilitating children’s and family garden workshops
• Participation with BC Farmers Market Nutrition Coupon Program
• Organizing community gardening opportunities
• Ensuring produce from garden sites is available for cooking classes and the Summer Lunch Munch program
• Facilitating garden activities with children and with community groups
• Other roles as needed, including processing garden foods
• Support Foodshare Farm Box and Good Food Box programs where needed
$14.00 / hour based on 35 hour per week
July 3 – August 25, 2017
~~• Good understanding of Food Security
• Enjoy working with children
• Basic knowledge of nutrition and healthy eating
~~• Ability to work well as a team and independently
• Canadian citizen, a permanent resident or a refugee under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
• Must be between 15 and 30 years of age
• Criminal record check
• Have to be registered as a full time student in previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full time basis in the next academic year.
• Be students in a secondary, post-secondary, vocational or technical program, but not attending full-time classes during job placement.
• Valid Drivers license and clear drivers abstract
• Previous experience (min. 1-2 years) of organic gardening
• First Aid and CPR an asset
Please send a cover letter and resume to Nanaimo Foodshare Society, 271 Pine St. Nanaimo, BC V9R 2B7, and attention: Jen Cody. Resumes can also be email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or Faxed: 250-753-9335
Snuneymuxw Employment Support: Violet (250) 740-2319 OR (250) 740-2316