NANAIMO FOODSHARE HOMEGROWN PROGRAM ASSISTANT
This position is being funded under the Canada Summer Jobs (CSJ) initiative. The goal of the program is to increase the health and wellness of youth and seniors through activities connected to healthy eating. The role of this position will be to assist the program coordinator(s) in planning, promoting, and implementing healthy eating activities and workshops. Students will support participants in attending activities, support volunteers in their roles, and be asked to teach a variety of food skills, including nutrition, food safety, cooking skills, and about local sustainable food choices. They will be involved with transcribing meeting minutes and qualitative data collection.
• General assistance to coordinator in planning, promoting, and implementing program activities
• Reminder calls/emails to participants
• Promote program activities in the community through posters, online posting, email, local media, social media
• Create information pamphlets and brochures
• Assist in workshop preparation and implementation (creating workshop activity plans, purchase equipment/food, set up/clean up)
• Purchasing foods and materials for workshops
• Helping to order items for the programs
• Ability to work within pre-determined budgets
• Assist with special events for organization
• program (may involve occasional weekend or evening availability)
• Assist with BC Farmers Market Nutrition Coupon Program
• Assist with other Foodshare and program activities as needed
• Research skills including ability to transcribe discussion and meeting notes quickly and accurately from paper to electronic formats, conduct literature review, record discussion/interviews, transcribe discussions and interviews, data entry
May 31 – August 25, 2017
$16.00 / hour based on 40 hours/week
• Canadian citizen, a permanent resident or a refugee under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
• Must be between 15 and 30 years of age
• Have to be registered as a full time student in previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full time basis in the next academic year.
• Be students in a secondary, post-secondary, vocational or technical program, but not attending full-time classes during job placement.
• Valid Drivers license and clear drivers abstract
• Foodsafe certificate an asset
• First Aid and CPR an asset
• Ability to input information into various computer programs such as Word and Excel
• Basic knowledge of healthy eating
• Background in related field of study including: Culinary Arts, Nutrition, Dietetics, Nursing, Community Development, Social Work, Child and Youth Care, Education, Early Childhood Education
Please send a cover letter and resume to Nanaimo Foodshare Society, 271 Pine St. Nanaimo, BC V9R 2B7, and attention: Jen Cody. Resumes can also be email to: email@example.com or Faxed: 250-753-9335
Snuneymuxw Employment Support: Violet (250)740-2349 OR Terena (250) 740-2316