NEWCASTLE ISLAND PARK CARETAKER & FACILITY OPERATOR JAN 2018
Reporting to the Saysutshun - NCI Manager, the Park Caretaker and Facility Operator will be responsible for operational and preventative maintenance, revenue collection and ensure compliance and reporting are completed daily, weekly and monthly as required by BC Parks. This is a term position based on peak, shoulder and low seasons for operating hours. The successful candidate is required to reside at the Caretaker residence located on the Island and sign a tenancy agreement. The Park Caretaker and Facility Operator must maintain the professional image of Newcastle Island at all times.
1. Operational and Preventative maintenance and repairs for all Operating Area’s & Facilities upheld to BC Parks Standards.
2. Revenue collection for docking, buoy, camping, day-use and service plus initiatives. Complete daily cash-out reports and fee collection forms. Monitor and ensure self – registration forms are utilized by park users. Submit to Saysutshun – NCI Manager.
3. Complete Complaint/Occurrence forms in the event there is a complaint, safety and liability or facility irregularities.
4. Coordinate special events, food deliveries, removal of disposables from the Island, and materials and supplies required for operational and preventative maintenance.
5. Implement park safety and security regulations for Operating Areas and park Facilities.
6. Perform regular repairs and cleaning of park grounds, structures, furniture, buildings, roads and trails, and water and effluent systems.
7. Park Patrol, Inspection, Assessments and Specified Frequencies pursuant to BC Parks Standards.
8. Perform basic landscaping duties such as trail maintenance, weed management, lawn mowing, brush trimming, pressure washing, and painting and basic dock maintenance.
9. Winterization activities such as water and gas shut off, water system cleaning, empty septic tanks and other activities to ensure the preservation and longevity of assets through the low season.
10. Operate crew vessel to transport materials, supplies, waste and other items as required.
11. Maintain all equipment and equipment log entries to ensure operational status.
12. Ensure cleanliness and organization of the service yard, bathhouse, caretaker house and pavilion to ensure professional presentation of the island at all times.
13. Primary Contact for emergencies 24 hours a day. Respond to all emergencies quickly and report immediately to the Saysutshun – NCI Manager, 911, fire department and/or RCMP.
14. Complete daily work log as provided by the NCI Manager and submit weekly.
15. Regular maintenance and repairs of the Caretaker Residence including waste removal, interior and exterior cleanliness, basic repairs and frequent operational assessments.
16. Other duties as assigned.
Experience in park and marine operations, maintenance and reporting
Small Vessel Operator Proficiency Certificate
Current and valid class 5 BC driver’s license with a clean driving record
Criminal record check
Successfully pass a third party pre-employment physical testing & examination
VHF Marine Radio, Level 1 First Aid & CPR ‘C’, WCB Fall Protection and Chainsaw Operator certificates are a definite asset
Excellent ability to adapt to changing environment
Ability to excel in a busy work environment, possess good judgment and show initiative
Experience operating small vessels
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with ability to take direction and follow instructions, to work independently and as part of a team
Must be physically fit
Skill to operate basic equipment such as chain saw, pressure washer, power tools and mowers
Carpentry skills and ability to undertake basic equipment repairs
Strong customer service skills
Strong organizational skills with proven ability to effectively prioritize work flow
Basic computer skills such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, email and other software programs
Please submit your current resume and cover letter to Helen Hunt:
NCI Ferry Service Ltd 1145 Totem Road, Nanaimo, BC, V9R 1H1
Deadline Date: January 31st, 2018 For more information please contact Helen Hunt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note only those applicants who are short-listed will be contacted