Retail/Visitor Services Position Posting
This is a new position created with the goal of assisting and augmenting growth and service for visitors to the museum and ensuring their visit to the museum begins positively. It is time to take the Gift Shop to the next level by improving on the $120,000 gross sales level while maintaining the strong gross margin. Opportunities for marketing abound and require planning and implementation. The Museum and Bastion welcome over 65,000 visitors a year. Venue rental is growing in popularity. Planning is underway to expand public programming. This growth now requires a front line dedicated position.
Develop and monitor annual budget and marketing plan for the Shop
• Inventory content decisions including researching new product and new suppliers, especially local artists and vendors
• Manage inventory including ordering, receiving, pricing, preparing for sale and reporting
• Future development and implementation of e-commerce services
• Recruit, train and supervise shop volunteers as needed
• General museum reception, greeting the public, special guests, members and groups in a cheerful, receptive manner at all times; Front line for all phone calls for information or appropriate referral.
• Records various statistics using Excel and Access databases for multiple agencies as well as internal reports; capturing accurate marketing and membership data.
• Assists with set-up of public and school programs, and with museum events & rentals including set up/take down and handling of AV equipment as required
• Processes admissions, program fees, membership fees, and various payments through a Point of Sale system; cash, debit and credit cards, and balances all intakes. Assist with administrative tasks as needed.
• Positive team player with excellent communication, interpersonal skills and excellent customer service skills
• Retail experience at a manager level, including knowledge of retail stock purchasing and management and retail floor sales techniques
• Proficiency with Word, Excel, Outlook, Publisher, Access, InDesign and Photoshop preferred
• Training and/or experience in retail marketing
• Good business and mathematical skills, attention to detail and significant use of memory
Please submit your application before September 21, 2017 at 4pm to the Nanaimo Museum to address above or email to email@example.com or in person. A more detailed list of duties & skills required is available on our website www.nanaimomuseum.ca (bottom of home page) – please check to ensure you meet the necessary qualifications. Only those shortlisted for the position will be contacted. Projected start date October 10, 2017.