Chief Michael Wyse, Xumtilum
Years on Council: 2014 – Present
Chief Michael Wyse (Xumtilum) is a proud member of the Snuneymuxw First Nation and is honoured to serve our membership as Chief. He is the son of Joe Wyse and late Chief Viola Wyse, married to Kora and together they have three sons.
Chief Mike Wyse’s time as councillor and Chief has been informed by listening to the Snuneymuxw community and taking the time to understand our community priorities and hardships.
The collective vision for Snuneymuxw includes a self-determined, strong, prosperous, and healthy community, where Snuneymuxw people live in equality, mutual respect, and according to the teaching of our traditions and culture.
Some highlights of the work Chief Wyse accomplished in collaboration with Council and community over the past 4 years include:
- Snuneymuxw’s agreements with Canada and British Columbia that outline a Nation-to-Nation relationship, recognizes and implements our Treaty of 1854 rights and culture, and identifies sacred villages that will be returned to Snuneymuxw.
- Building the Snuneymuxw economy with our new gas station, new retail cannabis store, new hotel, and creating jobs for our people.
- Improving infrastructure for our community with widening Needham Street and creating the new learning centre that launches mid-2022.
- Enhancing supports for community in times of need.
- Thank you for entrusting me with the honour to lead our great Nation into the future.
Thank you for entrusting me with the honour to lead our great Nation into the future.